Have you ever had a great idea in a meeting, and it actually got off the ground and turned into something great?
For our management team - there was a meeting about 3 years back when we came up with the idea to introduce totes instead of cardboard boxes for every delivery. Costless Express was committed to becoming carbon neutral, and many of our meetings revolved around reduction of waste materials in our logistics and distribution system. We went ahead and researched and tested the concept, then implemented tens of thousands of dollars worth of plastic reusable totes into our system.
Today we use our very handy RED TOTES for all deliveries on our trucks. We are in negotiations currently with our suppliers to encourage them to accept our red totes from us, so they too can ship product into our building with minimal or no extra packaging. This would truly be an exciting step by involving our supply partners in our reduction and environmental plan.
Costless will save 200,000 cardboard boxes from the landfill. Although we are actually ELIMINATING the use of cardboard in our distribution - here are some interesting facts about recycling cardboard.
Here's a few reasons why recycled cardboard and paper products can make a real difference for the environment:
- Paper and cardboard account for 41% of all municipal solid waste.
- Recycling 1 Ton of Cardboard saves 682 Gallons of oil
- Recycling 1 Ton of Cardboard saves 7,000 Gallons of water
- Recycling 1 Ton of Cardboard saves 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space
- Recycling 1 Ton of Cardboard save about 17 trees
- Recycled cardboard requires 645% less energy than make cardboard from virgin wood pulp, the equivalent of 3,000 kilowatt hours of electricity