Thursday, December 20, 2012

Serendipity



Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it.

I love this word. To me its a way of being, a state of mind, kind of like an internal radar looking for "happy accidents". But, if you don't have the radar on you wont find them.

Case in point. Today I was out for a bike ride alone while on our family vacation in Maui. Serendipitously I was caught on the side of the road as a Christmas motorcycle parade approached.

The road was narrow and I pulled my bike off the side the best I could and then pulled out my iPhone to film. What happened next was just so cool. As I filmed I received waves and honks and smiles as the hundreds of bikers rode by.

It was great to just sit there and soak up all the positive energy. As my 6 year old would say - my bucket was totally full!

Then as fast as it started, it was over..........silence. I got back on my bike and headed quietly on my way. Cool.

Cheers

Calvin